West Nile Virus

 

West Nile Virus
History of West Nile Virus
Preventive Measures
Symptoms
Mosquito Facts
Mosquito Species
Statistics

West Nile Virus Statistics

United States of AmericaWest Nile virus is a progressively common and dangerous disease. Since 1999, hundreds of people have been infected or killed by it. The severity of the disease makes it important for everyone to have a comprehensive understanding of it. Researching West Nile virus information can teach you how to protect yourself and your loved ones from the fatal illness.

Here is a list of important West Nile Virus information and statistics:

According to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, scientists have identified at least 40 mosquito species that can transmit West Nile virus.

Scientists donít know how long West Nile virus has been in North America, but they estimate that the virus has probably been in the eastern United States since 1999.

In 1999, 61 cases of severe disease and 7 deaths occurred in the New York area. No reliable estimates are available for the number of cases of West Nile that occur worldwide. Source www.montgomerycountymd.gov

Chances of Infection
It is estimated that 20% of the people who become infected will develop West Nile fever, leaving 80% of those infected to not experience any type of illness. It is also estimated that 1 in 150 persons infected with the West Nile virus will develop a more severe form of disease.

 

See the human case count for West Nile Virus in the U.S.A. in the chart below.

For more West Nile Virus symptoms click here.

 

West Nile Virus Home | History of West Nile Virus | Preventive Measures | Symptoms
Mosquito Facts | Mosquito Species | Statistics | Links | Sitemap